If you only have time to visit one city in Kosovo, then you should visit the center of Prizren. This Kosovar town is strongly influenced by the Ottoman Empire and has beautiful traditional buildings.
Thanks to the European taxpayers, many of the city highlights have been restored after the war and are accessible for everybody.
The fun starts after parking your car. Do not park it too close to the historical center of Prizren. Try to park it in the area of the NATO monument and walk from there via the main shopping street to the old part of Prizren. This shopping street contains numerous jewelry and wedding dresses shops. Very interesting to see. Especially because you learn immediately about the traditional wedding clothing of Kosovo.
When entering the historical part of the center of Prizren, you have to cross a stream via a very old stone bridge. When you look around you, you will see the fortress (Kalaja), houses on the hill, minarets and even an old Orthodox Church.
Center of Prizren: climb the Kalaja
The city has many interesting buildings to see. Like the Turkish Hammam, which they are renovating. But also the street with a beautiful Serbian church, an impressive huge mosque and a Roman Catholic cathedral is special. Try to visit all of the religious buildings.
You can climb the fortress by following the signs Kalaja. The mountain looks high, but the walk is not more than twenty minutes. The first minutes are the steepest. From the top, you’ll have a stunning view over Prizren and you can count dozens of minarets. When you walk to the other side of the fortress, you have an amazing view over beautiful mountain road that leads to Macedonia.
After visiting the city, you can drive by car through the mountains on the road to Macedonia. But do this only with daylight. Otherwise, it is not that interesting.
- Are you curious about the other tourism highlights of Kosovo?
- Are you interested in practical tips about Kosovo? See our Travel Information Kosovo page.
- Do you want to learn more about going by plane to Kosovo?
- Looking for a hostel in Prizren? Drizas House is situated in the center. Find more information on their website or call +38649618181.
- As a tourist,you can witness the traditional metalsmithing technique (filigree), which is popular in Prizren.
- This youtube video gives you an impression of Prizren, taken from the kalaja: